Enabling Technologies - Technology Review and Gap Analysis - Final Report
||Hitachi, EDF Energy, Imperial College London, Element Energy Enabling Technologies - Technology Review and Gap Analysis - Final Report, ETI, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5286/UKERC.EDC.000691. Cite this using DataCite
||Hitachi, EDF Energy, Imperial College London, Element Energy
||Hitachi Eupope Ltd, EDF Energy, Imperial College London, Element Energy Ltd
||This project identified gaps in the range of potential smart systems technologies to accelerate the development of component technologies which are required for any successful deployment and operation of a future smart energy system. This £500k project was announced in February 2013 and was delivered by a consortium of partners that includes Hitachi Europe, EDF Energy, Element Energy, David Vincent & Associates and Imperial Consultants.
This document provides an assessment of the development pathways of four technologies from a technological perspective:
These technologies have been pre-selected by the ETI as technologies that could, with appropriate development, play a significant role in a future smart heat system over the medium term(e.g. 2030).
- Hybridised ASHP with gas boilers for individual dwellings, optimised for the British conditions;
- High-density thermal storage for individual dwellings;
- Home Energy Management Systems (HEMS) and sensors for residential applications;
- Building Energy Management Systems (BEMS) and sensorsfor non-domestic applications.
In particular, the document provides a high level assessment of:
The report was initially published in July 2013. Some details and analysis may be out of date with current thinking.
- The current state of development of the technology
- The key areas of technical development required
- Non-technical market constraints for each technology assessed at a high-leve
- The timescales and key milestones in these development pathways
- The level of investment required to achieve the technical developments identified
- The opportunities for the ETI to accelerate technology development and commercialisation
- Impact of technology development on performance and costs
- Role of the technologies under different electrification scenarios
||ETI-SS1101: Smart Systems and Heat (SSH) Programme - Enabling Component Technologies
||No associated datasets
Enabling Technologies - Identifying a short-list of technologies for potential engagement by the ETI - Final Report (Task 3 Step 1)
Enabling Technologies - System Analysis of Concept Design
Enabling Technologies - Technology Review and Gap Analysis - Request for proposals
List of projects for the ETI Smart Systems and Heat (SSH) Programme
SSH Stagegate 1 - Review of International Smart Systems and Heat Initiatives - Final Report