||This project looked at designing a supply chain solution to improve the energy efficiency of the vast majority of the 26 million UK homes which will still be in use by 2050.It looked to identify ways in which the refurbishment and retrofitting of existing residential properties can be accelerated by industrialising the processes of design, supply and implementation, while stimulating demand from householders by exploiting additional opportunities that come with extensive building refurbishment.The project developed a top-to-bottom process, using a method of analysing the most cost-effective package of measures suitable for a particular property, through to how these will be installed with the minimum disruption to the householder. This includes identifying the skills required of the people on the ground as well as the optimum material distribution networks to supply them with exactly what is required and when.
This deliverable is number 2 of 7 in Work Package 3. This report presents the findings from a review of completed retrofit case studies, both in the UK and in Germany and France. This deliverables aims to evaluate the cost effectiveness of these recent retrofit projects in terms of supply chain solutions and occupant’s perception of the achieved annual savings. It will inform the recommendations made in later deliverables regarding the retrofit interventions to pursue in the UK to improve thermal efficiency in domestic buildings at mass scale.
The case studies are discussed are:
The report then covers
- Low Energy Victorian House (LEVH)
- Greener Homes for Redbridge
- Metropolitan Housing Trust
- Perry Street,Darlaston
- Birchcroft Smethwick
- 64 Beach Road, Sea Palling
- Zero Carbon House
- Eco-Energy Retrofit
- Self Heating Social Housing
- Solutions for a Holistic Optimal Retrofit (SHOR)
- BASF Meisterhäuser
- Brunck Quarter
- The Luwoge Zero Heating Cost House
- Saint Fargeau -Maison Phénix
- Most effective intervention(s)
- Least effective intervention(s)
- New technology difficulties
- Customer acceptance
- Level of expertise
- Availability of materials
- Cost implications how does the scale affect the nature of interventions?
Please note this report was produced in 2011/2012 and its contents may be out of date.
- Retrofit Database Review
- Overview of measures adopted by Retrofit Project